June 28 – August 20, 2021
FaySummer seeks applicants for Swim Instructor / Lifeguard to work during its 8-week summer camp program for children ages 3 to 15 years. The position will begin with staff training during the week of June 21, in preparation for camp opening on June 28, 2021. When camp is in session, the normal work schedule is 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. On a rotating schedule, one day a week, the normal work schedule will be 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. for extended swim time. Additional hours may be available.
Aquatics staff work as a team to create a safe, fun, well-organized, and educational program that includes swim lessons, free swim, and swim tests. Lifeguard duties will include assisting in pool maintenance responsibilities. This is a seasonal position and is not eligible for benefits. The Swim Instructor/Lifeguard reports to the Aquatics Director and to the Director of Auxiliary Programs. This is an active position that requires constant interaction with campers and counselors.
Fay School has two outdoor pools and we seek to have all campers access the pool each day. Time will be split between lifeguard duties and swim instruction as well as other pool duties as required.
Candidates must be at least 18 years of age and hold a current lifeguard certification, as well as first aid, CPR, and AED certifications. Previous experience working with children ages 3 to 15 is strongly preferred. Candidates are expected to be professional and to have a high level of comfort enforcing water safety procedures with campers and staff.
- Assessing camper swimming abilities and delivering individualized swim instruction to teach water safety and to improve basic strokes
- Developing and implementing deep-end swim test procedures
- Assisting in pool maintenance tasks including vacuuming, sweeping, scrubbing, general clean-up, and lock-down of the pool area and equipment
- Participating in all camp orientation programs
- Being a role model for FaySummer and Fay School and championing the core values
Interested candidates should send a resume, a cover letter detailing why they would be a great fit for FaySummer, and list of three references via email with the subject line “Lifeguard” to email@example.com